Dr. Erik Grossmann
- Born and raised in St. Louis, Dr. Erik Grossmann first came to Columbia, Mo., in 1988 to obtain a bachelor's degree in biology.
- He continued his education at Mizzou by entering the medical school as one of the first Conley scholars in 1992.
- After graduating from medical school, Dr. Grossmann spent six years as a general surgery resident at Saint Louis University under Dr. Thomas Miller and Dr. Robert Johnson.
- During this time, he completed a fellowship at the Theodore Cooper Surgical Research Institute. Dr. Grossmann then went on to complete his training with a colon and rectal surgery residency in Shreveport, La., under Dr. Phillip Cole.
- Began his career with an appointment as an Assistant Professor of Surgery in the Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery at Saint Louis University
- Served as the program director for the Saint Louis University general surgery training program before returning to Columbia in 2006 to take a position with Columbia Surgical Associates
- Board-certified in both general surgery and colon and rectal surgery
- Dr. Grossmann has a practice that focuses on the surgical management of colon, rectal and anal cancer, Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis, as well as more common conditions such as hemorrhoids and other anal diseases.
- Authored numerous articles in scientific literature, as well as several chapters in textbooks of colon and rectal disease
Erik Grossmann, MD, has more than two decades of experience as a surgeon who focuses on patients with intestinal problems. These issues can include conditions such as inflammatory bowel diseases and colorectal cancers. When he meets new patients, his first goal is to make them feel comfortable and let them know MU Health Care has a team of experts that can help them get better. His favorite part of the job is visiting with people five years after their cancer surgery and telling them they are cured.
Dr. Grossmann grew up in St. Louis and got interested in medicine as a boy, when he used the knowledge he learned in a Cub Scouts first-aid class to help his mom when she cut her hand in the kitchen. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two children, cooking, camping and playing guitar in a garage rock band.
Knowing more about your physician leads to better communication around your healthcare! At CSA Surgical Center we want you to have a familiar face behind the stethoscope, to learn more about Dr. Grossmann, click here.